Next Program Launching Summer 2018!

Friday, June 17, 2016

Lessons from Conversations with my Host Mom

As part of Purdue’s Boiler Up Barcelona program, I get the privilege of completely immersing myself in the Spanish lifestyle by staying in a Spanish home.  Contrary to my belief that everyone in Europe knows at least a little bit of English, my host, Nieves, does not speak a lick of English. Although I speak some Spanish, I am nowhere near fluent. Due to this language barrier, communicating hasn’t been the easiest of tasks.

Nieves and I

Through communicating with Nieves, I have learned a few things about communicating with Spaniards and intercultural communication:
  • Spaniards tend to face you, get closer to you, and/or keep eye contact the entire conversation. Don’t be taken aback if a Spaniard or person of a similar culture “invades your personal space,” that is just how the Spaniards communicate.
  • Using non-verbal communication, such as hand gestures or body language, is key.  Many times what you can’t get across verbally will be understood with non-verbal messages.
  • If you don’t know the word you are trying to say in the language you are trying to communicate in, try saying the word in English first. You’d be surprised how many words in English are similar to other languages.
  • Google translate is a good tool for words you want to say or simple phrases.
  • If you don’t understand what they are saying, do not just say “yes.” It’s okay to be confused and to ask the person to repeat himself or herself or simply ask “qué?” This shows the person that you care about the conversation and want to know what they are trying to communicate to you.
  • Always try to speak at least one word in the other person’s language. It shows respect to the other person.
  • Be patient with people trying to speak in a different language. It’s hard to translate what you want to say into a different language.
Although conversations with Nieves can be tough or sometimes even silent, I am gaining way more insights into the Spanish culture than if I would have lived in a dorm with all the other American students. Talking with Nieves is giving me confidence to talk with other locals. The more I talk with other Spaniards, the more I gain understanding of their perspective and how their culture has morphed over the years to survive in this area. Therefore, for all you future travelers, don't be afraid to talk to locals in their own language, your language, and non-verbal communication! You will always learn something new about yourself and another.

No comments:

Post a Comment