Next Program Launching Summer 2018!

Friday, June 10, 2016

First Week Learnings

Today officially marks the 7th day of my month long adventure in Spain. The first moment I stepped into this beautiful country, I was surrounded by the vibrant culture of Spain as if it was jumping out of the Spanish books I studied throughout my schooling.  Women dressed elegantly walked on cobblestone with stiletto heels, men riding mopeds in stark suits, and historical monuments or beautiful plazas around every corner.  

I was practically trembling with excitement to finally experience a culture, language, and place I had read so much about. However, as I began to make my way to my hostel in Valencia, I noticed quickly that my light jean skirt and short-sleeve blouse was a stark contrast to the pants and long sleeves, jackets, or sweaters the locals were wearing around me. I was amazed at how none of the locals seemed to be phased by the upper 70s°F and humid weather.

As I entered my hostel, I was greeted with a polite, “hello.” I was thankful for the Receptionists willingness to speak in my native language, but I was also upset that it was extremely obvious I was American. In hopes of becoming more fluent in the language, I responded to the Receptionist in Spanish and continued my conversation with her in Spanish to convey that I wanted to talk in Spanish. Luckily, she was quick to catch on to my intentions and replied in Spanish. But, as soon as I missed one word, she immediately reverted to English. Throughout this week, I’ve learned quickly that all my conversations with any of the locals would be similar to this situation.

As the week continued, I traveled to Barcelona to begin my study abroad program through Purdue and ISA. The first day of my intercultural communications class, I learned about the stages of culture shock. Prior to this class, I always believed culture shock meant some type of panic attack or other mental breakdown while abroad; however, I learned that everyone, included myself, goes through the stages of culture shock when they travel, learn, or work in a new culture. The first stage, the exhilaration stage, is the peak of your excitement and awe of being surrounded by a new culture. The second stage, the disenchantment stage, is when you have a disappointment, difficulty, or realization that you are a fish out of water in the new culture. For example, my realization that I stuck out as an American (even when I tried to blend in) was disenchanting for me. The next stage, the adjustment stage, is when you open up to the fact that you will not full fit in, but can gain insight and new perspectives from the new culture to change they way you see your culture. The final stage (which usually only happens for those that stay at least a year or more) is the effective functioning stage where you have fully adapted to the culture and understand the way of life in that area.

These stages differ in length for everyone, but to adjust to the Spanish culture I learned a few key aspects and differences from the US culture:
  • Conservation of water and energy is very important to the Spaniards. Do not be shocked when you see lights on short timers in public restrooms or even timed water dispensers in showers at hostel. 
  • Many local stores close between 2:00 – 5:00 PM when most Spaniards take their lunch and siesta. Also many restaurants are closed between 5:00 – 8:00 PM between the lunch and dinner meal periods in Spain, so be aware of the timing of your day and the hours of the places you want to go.
  • Water is not a common drink to the Spaniards. If you ask for a glass of water many restaurants will either give you a tiny cup of water or can only sell you a bottle of water. Additionally, try to bring a large bottle of water with you when walking around (or be on the look out for stands that sell water). Drinking fountains are almost none existent in Spain, so a bottle of water is your best option.

Although I’ve learned a lot in this first week of my time in Spain, I know I will learn so much more as I explore this culture and adjust to their way of living.

1 comment: