Next Program Launching Summer 2018!

Sunday, June 19, 2016

It's called culture shock for a reason

I knew it would happen when I studied abroad for a month in Barcelona, far from Purdue's campus, but it was a shock all the same. Barcelona is not West Lafayette. It's different in almost every way imaginable and I'm far from learning all the details of Barcelona that make it unique. I had a few moments when the differences became extremely clear. 

When I got on the metro and had someone standing so close behind me that I could feel him breathing on my neck, I told myself it was just part of the culture (and later convinced myself that it could have been Antonio Banderas). When it was seven in the evening and I was starving, I reminded myself that I could be eating on time in the states, but I would likely be eating ramen instead of traditional Spanish cooking from my host mom. When the ATM was different than what I'm used to and after fifteen minutes I was ready to scream with frustration, I had to just roll with it because money for gelato is important. When there are no water fountains to be found I remind myself that there are trade offs for getting to visit a cool city like Barcelona (and accept that everyone here must be perpetually dehydrated because they're always drinking wine). There will always be things that are different and challenging, but that doesn't make them bad. If I could give someone tips for studying abroad they would be as follows:

1. Get some local currency ahead of time
I actually did this, but my roommate did not and we shared the frustration of not being able to operate the ATM's we encountered. Wherever you're going, at least have a small amount of local currency on hand whether you get it from the airport or a currency exchange location in your home country. Most gelato places don't want you to pay for three euros with a credit card.

2. Resist the urge to sleep at odd hours
Try your hardest to only sleep when it's night time in the country you're visiting. The people who take naps during the day are the ones that take the longest to adjust to their new sleep schedule. Fight the urge to sleep at odd hours to avoid prolonged jet lag and awkward pictures of you sleeping in public.

3. Learn how to read a map 

This is especially true if you're going to a big city. You won't be able to use your phone to navigate everywhere unless you want to pay twice your tuition in roaming fees. Paper maps work even when there's no WiFi (amazing, I know). 

4. It's okay to not be okay
On the first night when you feel a rush of fear and uncertainty, it's okay to cry for a minute in the bathroom as long as you wipe the mascara stains off afterwards. When you can't watch the Bachelorette and discuss it with your mom, it's okay to be irritated and curse America for having such entertaining reality television. Just don't let those little moments become your trip. Find all of the good that outweighs the bad. 

Remember that study abroad is an amazing experience and you're lucky enough to be a part of it. Remember it even when someone (who is not Antonio Banderas) is so close you can feel him breathe on the back of your neck. It's nothing a scoop of gelato can't fix.  




No comments:

Post a Comment