Next Program Launching Summer 2018!

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Conversation with my Host Mom
I have a conversation with my Spanish host mom Carmen every day at dinner. We talk about the daily activities, classes and a lot about our different cultures.
Carmen is a retired psychology teacher. She has two daughters both are married and live in different cities. She meets her daughters almost once a month.  She spends her most of the time doing leisure activities. Different days of the week she goes to do yoga, swim or to the park. Being a former teacher she loves to read and also watches TV every night. She doesn’t like her photo to be taken and below is the only photo that I have of her.

I like to talk to her specially about the Spanish culture. I love to learn new things about different cultures. Talking to her is kind of challenging because she doesn’t speak English and I have been taking Spanish classes for only a year and my Spanish is not very good. But this language barrier doesn’t stop us from having a meaningful conversation. I have learned many things from her. Recipes for many dishes that she makes for dinner, things to do in Barcelona, cities to visit in Spain. Also a lot about Spanish culture food, family, festivals.
From all my conversation the things that I have learned to make intercultural conversations successful are-
·         Be patient the conversations would be slow. Reduce the pace in which you speak normally as it takes time to process different language.
·         Pay close attention to what the other person is saying. When your vocabulary is small each word comprehended helps a lot to understand the meaning of the whole sentence.
·         Be aware of the surroundings. As things in the surroundings can be used to talk about things that you don’t have vocabulary for or things closely related to it.

·         Use gestures effectively. People talk using sign language, gestures and signs are very useful in intercultural conversation 

No comments:

Post a Comment