Next Program Launching Summer 2018!

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Culture Shock in Week One

One thing is for sure: I have been experiencing the different stages of culture shock while being in Spain for the one week that I have been here.

STAGE ONE: EXHILARATION
Before arriving to Barcelona, I was really nervous and excited about my upcoming adventure. Nervous because this trip would be my first time of the country, yet excited for the exact same reason. I am a part of the Multinational Integrated Xchange (MIX) organization at Purdue where I help international students adjust to Purdue, but the tables would be turned and I would be the international student this time. Knowing that fact was nerve-wracking but a challenge I was willing to take on. If all of the other students could it, I surely could do it. I had been interested in studying abroad for about two years and every student who had traveled abroad through Purdue said it was an experience of a lifetime. I knew I had to put my name down for this program.

STAGE TWO: DISENCHANTMENT
When the day finally come to depart from O’Hare, I was not nervous at all. When I finally landed in Barcelona after an eight-hour flight from New York, it felt like I was in a dream. I could not wrap my mind around how I was in a different country in that moment. Everything was totally different—the bathrooms, people, signs, food, etc. For some reason I was not scared by that fact, just more shocked than anything. Me and four other students rented out an Airbnb that night because we arrived a day earlier and I am so fortunate to have had them at that time because we were experiencing it all together. I felt so helpless that night because of not knowing the language spoken or where anything was. The next day we were welcomed into our new place and our host families. I do not speak any Spanish, so the most frustrating part has been communicating verbally to my host mom. It has taught me how important nonverbal communication is when interacting. The metro was also a shock to me because I have not really had much experience in using the system. Figuring out how to use the system was an experience on its own.

STAGE THREE: ADJUSTMENT
As the week went by, I became more familiar with the new culture and how the rest of the month will play out with the food, the class schedule, different excursions, the metro, my host family, and everything else. I now embrace the differences in this country, even if it is just considering Monday the first day of the week on a calendar. It is what makes Spain different from America. It is those differences that I can lock in my mind or tell my mom back when I get home. Knowing I have other Purdue students to lean on during this journey has been one of the best parts. Getting to meet everyone and seeing them every day has been indescribable. I cannot wait to see what else Spain has in store for all of us.

As for the fourth stage, the effective stage, I have not reached that point. It takes time to fully adjust to a culture and a month is just a glimpse. But even if this trip is just a glimpse, I am truly grateful for the opportunity because it has already taught me so much about the Spanish culture and myself.

Some highlights from the first week:

The group who arrived on June 5!
The gelato here is amazing. We all cannot stop buying some.

A group of us went to the beach during the weekend when we met Willy.

A trip to Tibadabo.

Lessons I would give to someone studying abroad:

  • Pack lightly. I have already bought souvenirs that will take up more space in my luggage so make sure to not go overboard.
  • Go out of your comfort zone. Sounds cliche, but there are so many opportunities that you can take while abroad that you have never had the opportunity to do so before. I went kayaking and snorkeling for the first time and the experience was amazing.
  • Don't panic. I was really nervous about going abroad beforehand, but it all works out in the end. You will eventually adapt to your new environment and are on your own with incredible people in a new country.

No comments:

Post a Comment