Next Program Launching Summer 2018!

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Indian Culture in Barcelona


I have been in Barcelona for more than two weeks now. I have enjoyed my stay a lot. I have been to many beautiful places is Barcelona. This past week I have been to Tibidabo hill had a great view of the whole city of Barcelona. I also visited the architecture masterpiece of Antoni Gaudi, La Sagrada familia. It was one of the most beautiful basilica I have ever visited. Also in the past two weeks I have visited many famous squares, restaurants and beaches in Barcelona.
One of the most interesting things I found at these places was there are a lot of Indians(Pakistanis) in Barcelona. When I came here I didn’t expect it because Spanish and Catalan are the most spoken language in Barcelona and Indian usually immigrate to places where English is the main language. I was wrong, in fact my tour guide told me that Punjabi and Urdu are also widely spoken here. Most of the population are from the Punjab Province of India and Pakistan, one of the most populated area of the country and that’s why people leave it to look for work opportunities
.

Most of them are males self-employed. They own small supermarkets, mobile shops, gift shops and if you go in one of these kind of places there is a high probability that its owned by an Indian. Others work as skilled tradesman such as carpenter, mechanics, plumber, salesman. You will find a lot of them selling selfie sticks, umbrella, beers, samosas, margaritas on the beaches, parks and other tourist places. I have noticed them closely and all of them work in teams to sell their stuff, which is a big part of the Indian culture to stick together. Also I have talked to some of them and they said they came here alone to support their families back home. They said they save all they can and send it back home to help their families. This is the most important aspect of Indian culture to live together and support the family.


Some people from other places see these immigrants as lesser people because they do lesser jobs, but I think like that. These immigrants have come from places where it is very hard to earn and moved to places where they didn’t even know the language. They are part of the Indian culture and are working hard to support their family. I have a lot of respect for them and want others to understand their hardships and respect them.

No comments:

Post a Comment